Usually, when people think about California, they think of two things, the beach and warm weather. However, for those of us who live here, we understand that warm weather isn’t always as warm as we’d like it to be. While a cold day for us is about at least 40 degrees warmer than an average winter day in Ohio, we’re accustomed to the dry heat of the summer that we’ve all come to know and love. Despite the mid 60’s, we can still thoroughly enjoy the beach. Below, we’ve listed a few things to make your winter beach day enjoyably memorable.
- A Warm Layer: This could be a sweatshirt or a sweater, preferably something fairly light so that if you happen to get wet you’re not having to lug around a wet pile of clothing. Beach towels are also great, because they’re nice to put on damp sand and can also be a great alternative to a blanket.
- Food: Bring your thermos and enjoy hot chili on the beach or pick up some In-N-Out on the way.
- Sunscreen: It might be wintertime, but the sun is still out on the cloudiest of days. Be sure to re-apply periodically throughout the day. A bucket hat and some protective chapstick are also good items to bring.
- Camera: Calling all smartphones, Polaroids, and disposables! The beach is a great place for some low-key family pictures, not to mention the beach tends to be less crowded in the winter time, so you can get some great landscape shots as well.
- Volleyball: You might have a few polar penguins in your family, but typically, the ocean is too cold to spend too much time in. That doesn’t mean there aren’t other fantastic ways to enjoy your time at the beach. A game of beach volleyball is a great example!
We hope your winter beach stay is fantastic! Whether you’re spending the day walking along the shore, lounging and watching the boats, or playing with your kids, sign up with Freshly Folded so that when you get home you only have to worry about scrapbooking, not laundry!