Even though the rest of the country is probably getting ready for fall, we Californians are going through somewhat of a heatwave. While the extra heat is the perfect excuse to get to the beach or pool one more time before school starts, all this extra heat causes extra sweat. Sweat can be a really difficult stain to remove. Your favorite athletic wear and work out clothes probably start to have a stench after a few uses, even if you wash them. Rather than feeling like you have to constantly replace these items, we came up with a list of five ways to treat your sports attire:
- Active.com suggests hanging up sweaty clothes to dry if you aren’t able to wash them right away. You can even put them in direct sunlight! Lifestyle Lounge explains, “One of the easy and effective ways to get the perspiration smell out of clothes is to hangthem out in the sun. Exposure to sunlight is the best way to get rid of any foul smell. In the case of delicate clothes, you can hang them inside out in a place that receives indirect sunlight. The clothes would not only be crisp, but also smell good.”
- They also recommend not washing your workout gear with your everyday clothes, especially cotton clothes.
- If your clothes smell really bad, you can pre soak the clothes in a vinegar/water solution, or even add vinegar to the prewash cycle in your machine.
- To treat discoloration in workout clothing, especially in lighter color materials, Lifestyle Lounge says you can even use hydrogen peroxide on the area. “Mix equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water and pour this liquid onto the stain, allowing it to soak for at least 30 minutes.Rinse off the shirts and let them air dry. For an intractable stain or smell, use heavier dose of hydrogen peroxide.”
- For this last tip, go ahead and open up your spice cabinet and your medicine chest. This mixture comes from Home Ecc 101, “For a stubborn perspiration stain or for treating an unwashable garment try making a paste of 1 TBSP cream of tartar and three crushed full-strength aspirin tablets, mix with a little water and gently apply to the area with an old toothbrush. Rinse with plain water and air dry.”
Hopefully these are some helpful tidbits to keep you fit and fresh, your skin healthy and clear, and your fellow gym members and teammates happy! Freshly Folded is here to help you with all of your needs. If some of your clothes need extra attention, but you’re short on time, let us know and we’ll do what we can!